In a recent article by Jean Floger she suggests 6 things you think add value to your home but don’t. These things are going to change by region, neighborhood and even property. From my experience some of the things on Jeans list apply while others don’t apply.
Jean verses Dena
1) Swimming pools : In my opinion, unless this is a personal favorite of yours and of high priority skip putting in a pool. Between maintenance and property insurance they are not worth the price and you will not recoup the expense of putting a pool in.
2) Over building the neighborhood: again I agree. Colorado buyers like to remodel a home to their own tastes and aren’t going to pay you for your taste, room addition or improvements. In today’s economy people are watching their penny’s and dollars, even if your are selling a property with a really cool theater room, vinyl fence or granite counter tops.
3) Extensive landscaping : Here I agree and disagree. If you are improving your Canon City or Pueblo property to sell curb appeal is very important. After all, if your property looks like a dump the one listed for sale a few doors down will look better. Things will xeriscaping people see value in. Maintenance free landscaping is a plus in Colorado, especially in regards to water . But a planter full of bright flowers is a nice attention getter!
4) High-End Upgrades : Never have I had a potential buyer reject or decide to write an offer based on a fancy refrigerator, granite counter tops or extra efficient air conditioner. They are all nice things, but they won’t sell a house. Location and price are real motivating factors.
5) Wall to wall carpeting : Wholeheartedly agree! More and more buyers are liking the easy and allergy free results of tile, hard wood floors and even concrete. It also allows for flexibility in furniture selection!
6) Invisible improvements : I agree and disagree. A burglar alarms tells sends buyers and potential thieves messages. But super high efficient furnaces accompanied by low utility bills can impress. But it’s hard to say that your property will sell as a direct result of this furnace compared to that of the listing down the street.
Please comment and share!