Designing and Building your Colorado Dream Home.
Things to consider before designing and building your custom Colorado Home.
1) Location! How far in or out of town? Schools are sometimes a consideration. What about shopping or doctors? If this is going to be a gathering place for friends make sure to keep there needs in mind as well.
2) Utilities? This is a big deal especially for Colorado residence. Water, Cell Phone Service even paved roads aren’t always available. These are a real and major considerations.
3) Design – Build something that fits the environment.Use the outdoors as inspiration! Does building a brick Colonial make sense in the woods? Using materials that fit the landscape make the house more appealing instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.
4) If you are building in the Colorado Mountains orient the house toward the mountain viewor the open pastures. Always keep in mind energy efficiency. Allow the indoors and outdoors to merge together.
5) Locate the house on the property to make access in and out easy. You may have to plow your own driveway do you really want the drive to face North? Do you want the house to sit way back on acreage?
6) Many people will design a house with a formal entrance, but how often will you use the front door? Place a mud room near the entrance that you will be using. Place clothes hooks, shelves and benches around for convenience. This may save you lots of time cleaning up muddy foot prints left behind.
7) Consider durable building materials that will endure the cold snowy Colorado Winters and the dry Summers. There are many renewable, durable and energy efficient products that will make your home more energy efficient, durable and comfortable.
8.) Furnishings take a beating like anything else. The strong sun in Colorado will fade upholstery and can destroy out door furniture. When picking out furniture ask the sales person what fabrics and furnishings will endure.
9) DON’T over customize your dream house. Inevitably people designing their dream homes will over do the personalization of a house. What works really well for you make make the house harder to sell down the road. For instance HUGE custom kitchens can intimate buyers while tiny kitchens can kill a sale.
Keeping the above tips in mind will make your Colorado Dream home more comfortable for you, your family, your friends and make make the resale easier.
Contact Dena about buying vacant land to build your Custom Colorado Dream House.
Dena Stevens Putting the ‘real’ into REALTOR since 2004