One of my first real estate deals as a real estate agent was an adorable house in the Central neighborhood of Pueblo. It wasn’t far from the Rawlins Library, PCC (Pueblo Community College), HARP (Historic Arkansas River Project) and downtown Pueblo. The owner had passed away and the listing came into the office and was handed to me. I had no relationship with the sellers at all. There were four siblings involved none of whom lived in Colorado or the same state as other sibling. This is where my challenges began.
The four siblings did have two executors to the estate. One sibling did have keys to the property. None of the siblings had a great deal of knowledge about the property. While this was not an ideal situation for anybody as an agent, I had a great deal of work ahead of me.
If you are dealing with the death and need to contact a real estate agent there are a couple of steps you can take to make the process go more smoothly.
Invest in a product like www.mylifesinfo.com This product will help you or your loved one collect and organize many of the necessary documents needed to sell the property.
- Have a power of attorney document or contact an attorney
- Have property keys, security codes and even car keys available.
- Know how the property is titled, how the will is written, who has the authority to sell the property, how the proceeds check will be made out. Most of the time a proceeds check will be written in the name of the estate. Check with an attorney on how to handle the proceeds check.
- If more than one person is in charge of the estate appoint one to make decisions and to sign documents. This saves much time, trouble and confusion. Image dealing with many people all of whom have to have multiple documents faxed, signed, notarized, faxed again. If original signatures are needed (blue ink) the process slows down with the mail.
- How is the property going be maintained?
- Who is going to water and mow the yard?
- Take care of the pets?
- Remove personal belongings?
- Who is paying the utilities, insurance and payments until the property is sold?
A product like My Lifes Info can help family and friends focus on details that might other wise be over looked or cause further stress.
Dena Stevens ~ REALTOR Putting the ‘real’ into REALTOR since 2004!