Recently a seller told me I put the “Real” into Realtor. I suppose some people would be offended by this comment but I took it as a compliment. This seller recognized me for who I am – me!
I mean no offense to any Realtor out there that wears a pressed suit everyday, high heels on most days and doesn’t miss a weekly manicure. There is a place for that, and if that’s you – go for it! I read Jennifer Allens Selling with Soul and her advise to people is BE YOU.
What my seller recognized that I get mud on my tires, I have Colorado Pin Stripes*, I answer my own phone, do my own marketing, put up my own yard signs and work with out an assistant. If you want an answer ask me, if I don’t know I’ll tell you I don’t know and I’ll find out the answer. My listing presentations are not practiced or particularly polished, I know every listing appointment I go out on is going to be different. I sell in five (yes 5) different counties. If I dont’ immediately know your neighborhood gimme a break! I can tell you about 3 streets named Grand, Main, Elm, Cedar, Coyote and they are in 3 different cities or counties. Don’t get me started on County Roads……
The benefits to being a “Real” Realtor:
- You get me first hand, no assistants
- I answer my own phones
- I actually know people because I get out and meet them
- If I say I did that, have been there or know of – check my mileage for the truth
- You will see me at the Post Office and see my business cards up on bulletin boards
- Call my referrals, they are very real people
- I go to my closings
- I know the lenders
- I know the buyers
- I know my sellers
* Colorado Pinstripe – acquired by driving off road against brush and low hanging branches