Why are the Sellers Selling?
Buyers love to ask the question “why are the sellers selling?” There are two, maybe three answers to that questions.
1) Short Answer – it’s none of a buyer’s business
2) Longer Answer – The sellers are selling the house, the walls and the roof, they aren’t selling their story
3) Disclosure Answer – The sellers “might” be in trouble. Sometimes the MLS will disclose that the property is in short sale, that the foreclosure process has begun or that the property is in an estate.
If you are a buyer looking for a house does it really matter why the seller is selling?
1) Let’s imagine the sellers are down sizing, getting ready for retirement. Does that mean they will take less money – nope they are expecting exactly what the house is listed for. Will the seller take less? Write them an offer and see what happens. But remember a low ball offer can get a potential buyer shut down too.
2) Let’s imagine the seller is sick. Now imagine the seller is a distant family member of yours. Would you offer less or more for the house?
3) Let’s imagine the sellers family is expanding and growing, they need to move to a larger house. If you knew this would it change your buy offer?
4) Let’s imagine the sellers lost their job. Would you try to low-ball a co-worker you knew was just laid off?
Bottom line is the buyer is buying a property, the seller’s motivation isn’t a buyer’s business any more that it’s the seller’s business to know why the buyer wants their property. As long as the check clears, the ink dries on the signatures and keys are exchanged – that’s all that matters.